Saturday, October 11, 2008

How Postmodernism Finally Infected the Evangelical Right


As I said, I'm not a biologist. I don't know about the bones of Piltdown man (though I certainly should) or the wingspan of sundry fowls. But I do believe that thinking is inspired of God.

As a now KY resident (I paid my taxes last year), I must shake my head in shame at the dichotomy that our Christian cousins draw between science and God. Case in point? This in-your-face affront to the God-given intellect...

The Creation Museum...a tribute to the idea that being a Christian doesn't fix stupid (as a favored columnist of mine noted). A tribute to the idea that provincial familiarity is often preferred to grand reality. And given the cultural identification some are ascribing to visiting, a tribute to how postmodernism has even affected the Christian right. Somehow, subverting the scientific process and truth-seeking becomes acceptable because they're preserving their identity as a "peculiar people."

Can everyone do me a favor and work hard to avoid flirting with the Christian Right by adopting their rhetoric? We as Latter-day Saints can and must do better. Unfortunately, many of the scientific overtures towards religion are being made by highly sympathetic, but also agnostic scientists like Brian Greene. Mind you, I have deep respect for Dr. Greene because of his willingness to avoid the hate that lurks over the likes of Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens. And even Dawkins is willing to grant that there are well-regarded scientists who believe--even if their belief absolutely baffle him.

Will we make similar overtures to the contributions of biological science? It is not enough for us to merely passively place science on the shelf...that smacks of intentional ignorance, which is something that those outside (and many within) the religious tradition find abhorrent. We must actively give credence to scientific contributions while being prepared with our own, genuine (as opposed to folk) orthodoxy.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

What was at the museum? "Proof" of dinos living with Adam and Eve? Anti-evolution stuff?

Here's the thing about science and religion. I really feel that you have to keep an open mind. If, at the Second Coming, God says, "Hey Russ, I really did create the earth in seven days and it really has only been 7000 years since then," what are you going to do? Because I think God could have done it any number of ways. I have my pet theories but I want to be the first to throw up my hands and confess that His way is better.

I'm not saying I believe this, but Scott and I have been talking about an interesting theory that opens up startling new possibilities for creationism. He was saying that all our scientific theories about the beginning of the universe are based on the supposition that the laws of the universe, as we understand them, have always been constant.

Ockham's Razor, I know, but what if that's not true? What if the universe is built on a deeper law we don't understand that affects our reality in ways we don't understand?

I happen to think that modern science is compatible with faithful living. That doesn't mean I think that modern science has got everything right. I'd give up the understandings of man any day for a glimpse at the mind of God.