Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I'm a little outraged right now

I was familiar with the U.S. manual on counterinsurgency published in 2004. I had even read parts of it (for a class...I was pressed for time and just absorbed enough to make through the seminar without sounding dumb).

I read today that the military adviser in host country where counterinsurgency operations are taking place (read: Iraq) need not concern himself with that country's democratization or with the democratic process. Even Captain Moroni bothered to get the voice of the people to support his lifting of the writ of habeas corpus, as it were.

Not that this a surprised to me, but normally, one must piece together egregious acts of the government. Here we have it plain as day.

I love America, but this is outrageous.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I'm sure I don't get what you're saying, since I don't see what the problem is. Of course the military leader shouldn't concern himself with the democratization of a country. He should concern himself with the military. It is the president's job to decide if we should be fighting a war. Everything should go through the proper chain of command. We would hope the president chose only to fight a war that was supported by the voice of the people but whether or not he does, the military needs to carry out orders. To suggest otherwise is to invite chaos.