Saturday, August 25, 2007

Strolling through the Ivory Tower

So here we are--in the land of Bluegrass and horses. From a long travel-induced absence (there's nothing quite as fulfilling as driving for 16 hours through sagebrush and cornfields), I return to my loyal friends, family, and even a few general readers (who obviously have more than their fair share of free time) to report on the glories of graduate school in Kentucky.

In short, intense! Word to the wise: read well in school. You might use it in graduate school someday.

The Ivory Tower, I have found, is a most interesting place. Some of the conversations we have are about as useless as one might expect. The archane is welcomed and the obscure, smiled upon. The word, "significant" is often used with broadest of connotations (ie a piece of lint on my floor might be significant because it could demonstrate the male bachelor subculture and its associations with a lack of hygiene). Alright, I exaggerate. But let's just say I now know the proper way to pronounce the name "Appalachia" (as even the academic historians of Appalachia will concur).

But that said, I'm glad to be studying history for a couple years--see if I can cram a few more facts to spit out on fitting occasions like, say, dates...yeah...

So to those nestled in the crossroads of the West, I extend you my greetings and my love. And to the rest of my readers in blogosphere who read my blog for personal enjoyment, get a day job!

2 comments:

Alex said...

Yeah Russ!! You rock!

Cannon said...

You've just inspired me. Jobs rock. Who needs school anyways right? I'm all about fulltime work. Make money - no homework. Done.