Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Tangled Web We Weave

So sports fans, have you ever noticed how incredibly (and often unnecessarily) complex our dating life can be? It's outrageous, absurd, and sometimes befitting more an episode of 24 than the Love Story. For those of you who have seen government flowcharts laying out the interrelatiionship between even a small subset of government agency

Over the past several months, I have had several extended conversations with acquaintances in relationships of all stripes and qualities. While I humbly fancy myself to be rather conversant in these matters (why else would people call me "Dr. Love"?), the degree of intrigue and mystery surrounding the whole endeavor continues to amaze me. In crass economic terms, the endeavor is downright idioitic on its face: spend your money (often 10 bucks+ a date) on someone who might drop you at any instant only so that you can effectively divide your economic resources in half for the rest of your life. Yet, marriage continues, even thrives. As one marriage and family instructor once informed me (I was once considering marriage and family therapy as a career), 85% percent of all Americans will marry at some point in their life.

Perhaps, if something so painstaking and tangled can be so popular, they might be on to something...


2 comments:

Carrie said...

Russell!! I like your new blog! Thanks for coming to our wedding, it meant a lot. And yes, marriage is a good thing!! I hope you are having fun in Kentucky!

Laura said...

Russ you just need to start dating feminists. They pay for half the dates and make their own incomes. There will be nothing left to complain about.